1.23.2009

Parents in Dubai Part #1

My parents arrived in Dubai on Tuesday night. I picked them up at the airport and brought them to my apartment. We then went to get something to eat.

The following day, I went to work and my parents spent the day walking around the area that I live in.

Thursday, I had to work again, but I suggested my parents go to the Dubai Mall to see the Burj Dubai, the Aquarium, the Discovery Center, and just the amazingness that is the Dubai Mall. I told them that I leave by 2 when I go out because at 2 everything starts getting busy. They followed my instructions, but questioned my judgment a little because, while they said it got busier, they didn't have a problem getting home.

Today, Friday, is the weekend in Dubai. We all woke up and had breakfast at the house. I made Eggs and Bacon, and bought some bagels downstairs. Afterward, we went down to the Walk at Jumeirah Beach Residence. My parents bought a few things to bring home to my nieces. We had decided that we were going to go to the horse races today, but we had some time, so we went down near the office so they could see where I worked.

At this point it was about 1 O'Clock and the races didn't start until 2:30. I decided to take a drive around by where I knew there was a Catholic Church so that my parents would know where it was for Sunday, but we ended up in a traffic jam that took us about 45 minutes to navigate out of.

We went to the horse races and mom said that it was a little too much the culture of the area, even though that is what she was asking for. We all decided that since there was no where to sit and because there was no food or drink, that we would watch a race and then go.

We drove down near JBR again to get dinner, but the traffic down there had gotten pretty awful as well, so we came home and walked down to get some Chinese food near the house.

Over all it was a pretty good day.

Tomorrow we are going to go to the Mall of the Emirates to see Ski Dubai and walk around a bit. After that we are going to get some Lebanese food and see Slumdog Millionaire.

More updates to follow.