2.07.2009

Amazon Kindle

Because the new Kindle will likely be release tomorrow or in the next couple of days, I thought it would be an appropriate time to tell everyone what I think of the first Kindle after about 5 months of heavy use.

I really enjoy reading, but it became a huge pain in the butt when I moved because book stores here don't carry a lot of the things that I want to read and shipping from Amazon is expensive. Also, the cost of a book here is pretty high considering that once I am done with it, I am just looking to give it away or toss it so that I don't have yet another thing to bring home. It was even kind of a pain when I lived at home because I just never felt comfortable trying to read in bed or sitting on the couch.

When I bought the Kindle I read through a couple of books really quick and I thought, well that is just the excitement of having a new device lying around and wanting to get the most out of it. As it turns out though, I have been using it a lot and actually reading more than I normally would have, which I think is a direct result of the Kindle. It is easier to hold than a book, it is more comfortable to hold than a book. Reading on the plane you don't have to figure out the best position to hold the book so as not to get into the personal space of other people. Reading in bed, you don't need to move around based on if you are reading an even or odd page.

There is a pretty good selection of books available and I am hopeful that it will just get better as time goes on.

Here is a list of books I have read since buying the Kindle:
1984
An Inconvenient Book: Real Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems
Bringing Down the House
The Bro Code (not really as funny as I had hoped)
Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less: A Handbook for Slashing Gas Prices and Solving Our Energy Crisis
How To Ruin The United States of America
Just How Stupid Are We?: Facing the Truth about the American Voter
The Federalist Papers
The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Yes, You Can Get a Financial Life
Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA